In 2017 seafood, horticulture and pastoral businesses of the Gascoyne came together with a shared recognition that there was an opportunity for the region’s primary producers to take a stronger role in leading growth and effective representation of their industries.
Until now, the segregation of the Gascoyne’s primary industries and a tradition of small-business independence has hindered our ability to have the greatest impact possible on the policies, public debates and actions that affect our industries and our wallets.
Gascoyne Primary Producers (GPP) was born from a recognised need for a united, organised and modern primary producer’s peak body that truly works to benefit its members.
By bringing together the seafood, horticulture and pastoral industries of the Gascoyne, the GPP has the scale to be a respected and effective voice and advocate for our members and the region.
Value of GPP
The true purpose of GPP is to ensure the sustainability and prosperity of the seafood, horticulture and pastoral industries of the Gascoyne region. GPP exists to help businesses do three things – save money, make money and protect their investments. GPP will accomplish this by being:
- The united voice of the Gascoyne – speaking with one voice is amazingly powerful. It allows businesses to be heard as a collective and apply heavy weight to those issues which are identified as common goals. GPP is the industry body with the authority to speak on behalf of all Gascoyne seafood, horticulture and pastoral businesses.
- Influential - GPP will offer members the chance to influence the policies that affect industry businesses, and livelihoods. GPP will do this by maintaining key industry and political relationships, and advocate on behalf of and according to the wishes of the members.
- For the members, by the members – GPP members will have a direct role in defining GPP’s structure and policy platform and promoting it at every level of decision-making. GPP will act in the best interest of its members through a process of consistent and direct engagement.
- Transparent – GPP will act as a public information source; engaging both paid and free media activities to amplify the voices of producers at local, regional, state and federal levels. Information will not only flow outwards from members but also flow inwards to members, providing awareness and opportunities for connection and development.
- Sustainable – GPP will be truly independent and affective by being sustainable for long-term development. GPP has a clear strategy, which will be developed and implemented by members. The peak body will be largely self-funded and not reliant on grants or fundraising.